Brain Development, Role of Parents & Child Development
September 25, 2015
A growing child requires many aspects for calm around them. A peaceful home environment and understanding parents goes to the top of our list when it comes to critical requirements. The experiences young children receive in their life are crucial to brain development. As your child receives care and stimulation, neural connections are formed between their brain cells. These connections form the wiring system of the brain. Your child's early experiences largely determine the strength and function of her brain's wiring system. Warm responsive parents, who cuddle, who are affectionate, attentive and talk to their children and provide challenging learning experiences, promote healthy brain development for their children.
Parents play an important role in helping their child develop well, improve in brain development and be successful and happy. Here are some of the ways how:
1. A Calm Parent results in a calm child: Most parents are weighed down by office pressure, financial pressure and personal pressure. In all this, they forget that their little child badly needs a parent who does not pass on this stress to them.
2. Stressed out parent is an angry parent: Stress manifests in many ways. The most common ways are irritation, anger and scolding. A common site in homes these days, shouting has become the norm. This results in the child not trusting their parents for good advice.
3. Lack of trust & communication results in children with behavioral problems: Constant fear, insecurity and feeling of loneliness envelopes children when they are unable to talk to their parents in a non judgmental and calm way.
4. Use it or lose it!" The brain operates on a "use it or lose it" principle: only those connections and pathways that are frequently activated are retained. Other connections that are not consistently used will be pruned or discarded so the active connections can become stronger. Help your child use their mind while they are free and reduce TV time. Encourage habits like reading.
5. Encourage learning a new language: The mind always need stimulation. Nothing like learning a new language like Spanish, French or Japanese to keep the mind sharp and attentive.
6. The power of the spoken word: The power of early adult-child interactions is remarkable. Researchers found that when mothers frequently spoke to their infants, their children learned almost 300 more words by age two than did their peers whose mothers rarely spoke to them. However, mere exposure to language through television or adult conversation provided little benefit. Infants need to interact directly with others. Children need to hear people talk to them about what they are seeing and experiencing, in order for their brains to fully develop language skills.
7. The Loving Touch: Parents who hug their children more, pat them on the back and hold their hands more reduce the stress in children. Yes, children also undergo stress. These warm, caring gestures provide nourishment for the child. Recent research suggests that this kind of consistent caregiving is not only comforting for an infant, it plays a vital role in healthy development. The way that parents, families and other caregivers relate and respond to their young children, and the way they respond to their children's contact with the environment, directly affect the formation of the brain's neural pathways.
All these attributes contribute to consistent stress in a child which blocks various neuro transmitters from functioning properly. Sustained over a long period of time, it could result in lower performance in school, at home and in life.
About the Author
Shubha N. Janardhan is a Child Development Specialist and President & CEO of Haselfre Health & Wellness Group. Her areas of focus are Psychology, Child Behaviour & Development, Food & Nutrition, Woman’s Health & Wellness, and Skills Parents & Teachers for Positive Child Development.
About Haselfre Health & Wellness Group
Haselfre was founded in 2003 with the aim of ensuring wholesome health & wellness for children, women & men. Haselfre offers its philosophy of wholesome care through all its products and services.
Our diversified portfolio includes:
Baby Bliss: For a safe pregnancy and healthy baby
Brainy Kids: For Brainy & Healthy Kids
Healthy Women: For a healthy and happy woman
Healthy Men: For health & wellness of men
Country Baby: Natural Products for women and children
For more information on this column, Haselfre Brainy Kids Program or any other Health & Wellness Program please contact Shubha at:
Manasa Building, No: 1, Ground Floor, Old # 105/1, New # 145, St. Marys Road, Alwarpet, Chennai – 600 018
Tel: +91 44 4291 8447